Monday, June 27, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I'm baaaaccckk! Can't believe it has been a month and a half since the last post!

Thought I would come back with a bang though! This pie is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Love the strawberry and rhubarb combo. The tartness of the rhubarb and sweetness of the strawberries balance very nicely! And best of all, the strawberries and rhubarb are both fresh from the garden! Picked the strawberries today at a local farm and the rhubarb is from my grandma's garden!


And to top it off, the pie is covered with a buttery streusel topping! Definitely my favorite part! I will always pick a streusel topped pie over a double-crusted pie! Don't even have to think about it!


Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

for the filling:
2 3/4 cups sliced rhubarb
2 cups sliced strawberries
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

for the topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 unbaked single pie crust

In a medium sized bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Mix well. The mixture should be thick and syrupy after mixing. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly.

In a second bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour/sugar mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon streusel mixture evenly over the top of the pie.

Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 50-55 minutes. You may need to cover the pie crust edges with foil halfway through to prevent burning.

Let the pie cool completely before cutting. Serve with a dallop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!!! Can I please have some now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I've never had a rhubarb pie before, but you make it sound like a can't miss!

    ReplyDelete