Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Heart Cookies

I'm guessing that some of you were wondering why Jess didn't include the recipe for these cookies in her post First Attempt at Royal Icing. Well, it's because I have the recipe. So, if you were looking for the recipe for the cut-outs with royal icing that we used as cupcake toppers, here you go...


Honey Christmas Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup strained honey
1 cup shortening
2 tsp hot water
1/4 cup chopped almonds (we didn't include almonds)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
~3 1/2 cups flour +additional for rolling out dough

Cream sugar and shortening together. Mix baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla together. Add honey and hot water to sugar and shortening mix. Mix both mixtures together, adding in enough flour to make a very stiff dough, about 3 1/2 cups. Cool mixture (I let the dough chill in the fridge for about an hour) and roll very thin, cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Don't let the name deceive you. This cookie isn't limited to the Christmas season. It is perfect anytime. In my experience cut-out cookies are dull, boring, and have an undesirable texture. I will admit that in the past I only made them so that I could decorate them with lively colors and sprinkles to jive up my cookie trays. Well, these cookies look good and taste better. Enjoy!


Bake on!

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment