Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First Cake Pops


One of our favorite blogs to follow, Bakerella, is famous for coming up with the idea of a cake lollipop! What a genius!

The first step is to bake a cake, whether it is a box mix or from scratch. For the first attempt I decided to use a box mix. After the cake is cooled completely, crumble the cake into a large bowl. I ended up just tearing it to shreds with a fork.


Add one can of frosting to the crumbles. I recommend starting with about three-fourths of the can and adding more if needed. I started by adding the whole can and it turned out to be a little too much.


Form mixture into quarter size balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop so they were all fairly similar in size. Place the balls in the freezer for about 20 minutes.


While the balls are in the freezer, melt chocolate or candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals.

After the cake balls have become firm, dip the tip of a lollipop stick into the melted candy and insert into a little less than halfway into the cake balls. Dip the cake ball into the melted candy until fully covered. Gently tap off extra coating if needed and stick the end of the lollipop stick into a styrfoam block to dry. I didn't take any pictures of this part of the process because it didn't go so well. Almost every time that I went to pull the cake ball out of the melted candy, I would end up with only the lollipop stick in my hand and the ball stuck in the candy. I think several things played into this happening, I used a "super moist" box mix, added too much frosting, and used a whipped frosting. A combination of all of these made the cake balls too soft. I was able to get a dozen cake pops and then just threw away the rest of the balls.

I brought the ones I did get to work and they were gone within ten minutes! I am eager to try these again! They are just too cute that I can't give up yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment