Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Pies











Thanksgiving was at my house this year. It was fun to get all the nice dinnerware arranged for a nice family meal. I was in charge of the pies this year. I chose to go with classic pumpkin and apple pies. Oh boy, were they good. They were perfect topped off with a nice dollop of whipped cream.
When I make pumpkin pie, I stick with Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe (it can usually be found on a can of Libby pumpkin).
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie shell
Mix sugar, salt cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 40-45 minutes. Knife inserted near center of the pie should come out clean.
Do not freeze.
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice may be substituted.
I have never made a pie crust before, let alone a pie with 2 crusts. So, making the apple pie was an adventure. Since I had never made one before I went to my "Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book" to find my way. Between the crust recipe and the pie recipe I would be here half the night typeing, so I recommend visiting www.bhg.com if you are interested in this recipe. They pie looked pretty but I've definitely tasted apple pies that are better. Oh well, there's always next year.
Bake on!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment