Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Saltine Toffee

A couple of weeks ago I came across this recipe twice in one day. Really. Twice in one day. Seemed a little weird. Not like it is some plain-jane chocolate chip or peanut butter cookie. Apparently I am a little out of the loop and missed all the hub-bub about this tasty little treat.

I first saw it sitting on my sister's counter top while I was at her house watching Brodi. And of course, being the obsessive recipe collector that I am, I grabbed a note card and wrote it down immediately. And then later that night stumbled upon it again on Cookies and Cups.

So today I decided to finally see what the hype surrounding this recipe was all about.

Mmm-mmm! Salty. Sweet. Buttery. And. Chocolaty. And the best part is, you get the toffee taste without it sticking in your teeth! That is the one reason why I avoid toffee. Nothing like digging it out of your back molars while visiting with family and friends. No more worries about that one!



Saltine Toffee

35-40 saltine crackers
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
chopped walnuts to garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place saltine crackers in a single layer on cookie sheet.

In a saucepan, bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for three minutes without stirring. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.

Bake at 400 degrees for seven minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for three or four minutes and then evenly spread melted chocolate over crackers. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Place in the refrigerator until completely cooled. Break or cut into pieces.

1 comment:

  1. I've made this before but used Ritz crackers. It is so good!
    I've also just discovered a similar recipe using graham crackers and turning it into a s'mores dessert (just posted this one last week). You then add marshmallows and bits of Hershey bars as the toppings. Yum!
    Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete