Saturday, January 8, 2011

Card Club Cupcakes

Tonight my parents are hosting card club at their house and my mom asked us to whip up some cupcakes for the event! To fit the theme I told her we could cut out hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades out of fondant. Super cute and fitting for the event, right? Well it was a good idea until she told me she wanted mini cupcakes and I was unable to find miniature cookie cutters in stores or online. Of course the diamonds were super easy. Hearts and spades a little more challenging. And the clubs a huge thorn in my side. All in all though, they turned out super cute! And it all was worth it when I saw my mom's look of awe. She is always amazed with our fondant creations!

And I am proud to present our two most recent additions to the "go-to recipe list." Lemon and Almond!! Woohoo! The lemon is the same recipe that I used this past fall when I made the lemon cupcakes with raspberry frosting, but somehow managed to forget how perfect these little buggers were! This time I paired them with a lemon cream cheese frosting! Simply took our staple cream cheese recipe and added a little lemon zest and lemon juice and replaced the vanilla with lemon extract.

Michele and I are in love with this almond cupcake recipe!! Like Michele said, it tastes like a spritz cookie! It is a moist and delicate cupcake with a subtle almond flavor! I forget the name of the cookbook that we found this in, but it is one that Michele just picked up at Kohl's for $5!! A cookbook for $5 is almost unheard of!! I think a trip to Kohl's is in store for me later today to pick up a copy for myself!

Almond Cupcakes

1 3/4 cup sour cream
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream one cup sour cream, butter, and oil.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in the sugar.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture one-third at a time. Mix thoroughly after each addition.

In another bowl, mix the eggs, 3/4 cup sour cream, almond extract, and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the batter in thirds, beating for one minute after each addition.

Fill liners 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes for regular size cupcakes or 17 minutes for mini cupcakes.


Sure nice to follow up a failed cupcake attempt with two successes!!
-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment